A dear friend of our Caribbean and humanity, Selassie Fox of NASA, has joined Rebuild Dominica as a volunteer. He will be mobilizing his friends at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and around the Washinton, D.C. Metro area to assist with Hurricane Maria relief efforts as well as relief efforts for our other islands in their time of need.
Ask your family and friends to join Selassie and other volunteers in this call to volunteer and aid the relief effort at http://www.RebuildDominica.org!
See the video clip of this announcement as shared on Facebook by clicking HERE!
A supporter of Dominica’s rebuild efforts called us one day and said: What can I do? I do not know what to do. Will I have the time?
My response was that we are all volunteers and that everyone is busy. However, where one chooses to form a committee to work on an area in which they have an interest, or skill, it would be the best way to go.
By teaming with others with a similar interest, we can Rebuild Dominica. As an organization, we are like a “junction box” – a place where we can collaborate with individuals, other organizations, and local and foreign governments to rebuild Dominica. We are an organization of Dominicans and friends of Dominica. We are open to all of humanity, and are committed to helping others in time to come where they may also have a need.
Volunteering ideas are endless. Here are some to help you get started:
- Medicine/Healthcare – Join the Medical Committee.
- Livestock – Form or join a group to replace livestock lost.
- Engineering – Form or join a group to focus on rebuilding Dominica with best engineering practices.
- Energy Group – Form or join a group that will introduce best renewable energy systems to Dominica.
- Garden Club – Form or join a group that promotes agriculture and agriculture science on Dominica. By working with 4-H Clubs, the Dominica Botanic Gardens, and promoting school gardens we can rebuild with sustainability in mind.
- Books/Reading/Writing – Form or join a book/reading/writing club to help our schools and libraries; and also to publish articles in local papers about our efforts.
- Art – Form or join a committee to promote art work which can be sold to aid the rebuilding effort.
- Music – Form or join a group that promotes music and concerts in aid of the rebuilding effort.
- Sports – Form or join a sports committee so we can aid sports on island and host games overseas to raise funds.
- Youth & Student Leadership – Form or join a group that encourages youth and student organizations such as the Dominica Cadet Corps, Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, Pathfinders, Junior Red Cross Society and student councils. Youth and students are the leaders of tomorrow and will be needed to rebuild.
- Helping People with Disabilities – Form or join a committee to aid the blind, or physically handicapped.
- Helping the Environment – Form or join a group which works to replant lost tree cover, and manage our rivers.
- Emergency Services – Form or join a group to assist our police and fire service with emergency equipment to better protect the society.
- Helping People in Need – Form or join a group to aid those in immediate need of support.
- Spreading the Word – Join our media team so you can advocate/network for the long term rebuilding.
- Cleaning Up Your Town or Village – Join or form a committee to keep our communities clean.
- Working with Kids – Join or form a committee to collect toys and mentor kids.
- Community Playgrounds – Join or form a committee to set up swing sets and simple playgrounds so kids can play again.
- Dominica Chamber of Commerce – Form or join a group to aid and advocate for Dominica’s industry and to promote enterprise by networking between the local and international centers of production. In promoting production, we can aid Dominica’s exports and so rebuild income.
- Dominica Culinary Arts Society – Form or join a group to promote Dominica’s cuisine as a fund raising tool.
- Innovators Group – Form a committee to come up with ideas to rebuild Dominica.